From Crematorium to Village Hall : The Journey of life in One Place
- Chayapon[04] Sitikornvorakul
- 1 day ago
- 4 min read
From Crematorium to Village Hall : The Journey of life in One Place

2.1 Cement crematorium Graveyard and The arrival of Somdej To

Historically, Wat Saket’s graveyard is for cremated local people. It’s compliant with Pra Thu Phi (Ghost Gate) – the exit gate for moving corpses out of Phra Nakhon. The lesser nobles than noblesse oblige who were cremated by the royal crematorium ground at Sanam Luang, were cremated by Wat Saket’s cement crematorium. On the other hand, the laymen were cremated by a funeral pyre in the same area. Not far away, there is Wat Saket's community; a coffin-making community that continues to practice coffin-making. This is related to the area being a cremation ground and an important lumber and timber (Au-Sung) trading center since ancient times.

The Ban Bat community was established at south of the crematorium of Wat Saket (Wat [n.]: Temple) – also known as Graveyard out of Phra Nakhon (Currently, there is Bangkok Polytechnic College instead) These area was separated by little canal (various names such as Ban Bat’s canal, Saket’s crematory canal, Graveyard’s canal or Au Sung canal); connect with Ong Ang Canal (Saphan Han – Han’s Bridge) was partition between Ban Bat and the area of Wat Saket’s crematorium reaching Kra chap pond (Waterworks Authority, Maen Sri in the present).
Also, the orature in bygone days about the arrival of Somdej Phra Buddhacarya (To Phrommarangsi [Somdej To]) who was famous in mystery way such as subduing the Ghost “Mae Nak Phra Khanong” and composing “Chinnabanchorn spell”. One day, he pilgrimaged and preached in Wat Saket’s graveyard and journeyed to Ban Bat – this place had space for Asubha Kammaṭṭhāna (meditation to contemplation of unpleasant objects). Nowadays, Ban Bat has a statue of Somdej To in hand palm-leaves inscription posture (Have various names; “Kammaṭṭhāna [Meditation] posture” or “Trinetra [Thai divination] posture”).

Evidence of Somdej To's visit to the cemetery at Wat Saket - Ban Bat is: a statue of Somdej To in hand palm-leaves inscription posture (Have various names; “Kammaṭṭhāna [Meditation] posture” or “Trinetra [Thai divination] posture”) installed this statue, which has been preserved and enshrined at Sala Charunithi,Wat Saket in 1937 (B.E. 2480) until today.

People believe that it was created by Somdej To when he was still alive as a mental anchor for residents in Ban Bat - on the other hand, we created it after Somdej To died. They’re controversial between statue might be installed at Ban Bat’s Sala Klang Ban or its installed at Sala Kammaṭṭhāna (Meditation Hall); nearby Wat Saket’s cremator and moved in to Wat Saket after demolished that hall.
2.2 Sala Klang Ban (Village Hall): space for life - central to light.
Ban Bat is the only one community in Phra Nakhon who preserve Sala Klang Ban or Sala Rong Dharma (in Thai has various names) Sala Klang Ban is the place as do everything such as for entertainment activities like traditional festival or multipurpose area, and for religious activities like make merit by giving alms to monks until Abhidhamma chanting ceremony (funeral rite) It compliant with Wat Saket’s graveyard that neither far from those.
As Sor Plainoi told about its in “Lao Rueng Bangkok (The story of Bangkok)” said, there are many Sala Rong Dharma scattered around Phra Nakhon, such as along Fueng Nakhon road; Sala Tao Poon (limekiln), nearby Wat Ratchabophit, Abdulrahim general store and S. Tisman & co. And there is also had 2 Sala Rong Dharmas around Sao Ching Cha - Pahurad Market; along Mahachai road and Ban Yuan (Annamese’s house).

We presumed that in past times, a nearby area of Wat Saket’s graveyard still has evidence of an important building such as Sala Klang Ban. The map evidence from the National Library of Thailand, 1900 was specifically the location of Sala Klang Ban. Presumed that the original Sala Klang Ban was located nearby Rop Krung canal community’s gate (Ong Ang Canal) – out of Ban Bat in the present. It’s expected that Sala Klang Ban was moved further in Ban Bat after constructing The Boripat road; located along with Ong Ang canal, through Ban Bat and Ban Khmer communities. This road starts from Damrong Sathit bridge to Bam Rung Muang Bridge (Pra Thu Phi’s intersection) in 1901. That’s the reason why we move the Sala Klang Ban to Ban Bat until nowadays.

However, we presumed that Ban Bat’s Sala Klang Ban (Village Hall)” was stand along with Sala Rong Dharm (Dharma Hall or Sala Fang Tesanā / Kammaṭṭhāna (Preaching Hall / Meditation Hall) nearby Wat Saket’s crematory was called Nun’s cloister. As they said, This Sala used to be Anukul School with Mr.Thep Pluktim as Director and Ms.Cheeb as manager since 1920 until it was out of business and demolished later. The importance of two halls has shown the relationship between preaching in Ban Bat and Wat Saket for a long time. In the present, we found useful Sala Klang Ban only in 2 villages as Ban Bat and Sai Rad Pra kod (Priest waistband’s community)
As the time changed, Sala Klang Ban dilapidated. Until 2008, Somej Phra Buddhacharn (Kiaw Upaseno) ,Wat Saket’s former prelate who had a tight bond with Ban Bat – had the thought for Sompot Kankamlai, the Community President of Ban Bat and villagers in that time to reserves and restoration this Sala Klang Ban, especially timber frame structure in this building.
Nowadays, Sala Klang Ban is still a multipurpose space for every activity in the community like old times and adds adjustments to the usage in different occasions such as community meeting, common reception area, as an only main public center where the community's main activities can be held.


Comments